Does Wellcare Cover SilverSneakers?
- Many Wellcare Medicare plans cover SilverSneakers, which is a senior-focused fitness program. Learn more about SilverSneakers and the other benefits that may be available from a Wellcare Medicare Advantage plan.
A SilverSneakers membership is among the many attractions a Medicare beneficiary may be able to find with a Medicare Advantage (Medicare Part C) plan offered by Wellcare.
What SilverSneakers Benefits Can a Wellcare Medicare Plan Cover?
SilverSneakers is a health and fitness program designed specifically for older adults. In addition to a basic gym membership, the program includes several senior-focused fitness groups, clubs and activities such as:
- Tai Chi
- Water aerobics
- Sports leagues
- Walking or running clubs
- Weight or cardio training
- Fall prevention exercises
- Brain health workouts
- Stress management
There are more than 15,000 participating gyms and fitness centers throughout the U.S. that host SilverSneakers programs, and members can enjoy access to any amenities included with a basic membership at those facilities.
Some exercise classes may even be available outside of gyms, in other areas like parks or senior centers. And if you don’t live near a SilverSneakers facility, you may still participate virtually from your own home using online videos and live online fitness classes. The SilverSneakers home workout kit includes a Fitbit fitness tracker as an included benefit.
SilverSneakers also features a mobile app to track and schedule activities and to access discounts on healthy living products.
SilverSneakers is included as a benefit in many Medicare Advantage plans, often at no added cost. You may search for a participating SilverSneakers location near you.
Wellcare is one of many insurance companies to cover SilverSneakers as an included benefit in many Medicare Advantage plans. Some insurance carriers may offer similar programs that operate under a different name but provide similar fitness benefits, such as the Silver & Fit program.
Other Perks of Wellcare Medicare Advantage Plans
While SilverSneakers is a popular benefit that may be covered by many Wellcare Medicare Advantage plans, it’s far from the only attraction. Some Wellcare Medicare plans may cover additional benefits such as:
- A 24-hour nurse advice phone line provides real-time answers to medical questions from nurses
- An online surgery decision-support program helps members make decisions about surgeries, alternative options, preparations and recoveries
- Fixed dollar amounts to put toward over-the-counter medications and products like bandages, pain relievers, cold remedies and even toothpaste
- Telehealth services where members may video conference with a doctor from the comfort and safety of their own home
- Reimbursement for non-emergency medical transportation for trips to appointments or the pharmacy
- Coverage of routine dental, vision and hearing care, which is not included in Original Medicare
- Coverage of prescription drugs, which is also not included by Original Medicare
- Discounts on health-related items like medical alert systems, blood pressure monitors, braces, canes, vitamins, and more and even discounts on non-health items like computers and car rentals
A licensed insurance agent can help you find a Medicare Advantage plan in your area that includes a SilverSneakers membership.