What Is the Humana Healthy Food Card?
- Some Humana Medicare plans may offer an optional benefit called the Humana Healthy Food Card. Learn about this extra Medicare plan benefit and explore how you can find Humana Medicare plans near you.
Some Medicare Advantage (Medicare Part C) plans offer extra benefits that may include a preloaded debit card that can be used to purchase food, over-the-counter medications and other health-related products. These Medicare plan cards are often called OTC (over-the-counter) cards, Medicare flex cards or healthy food cards.
In the case of Humana, a healthy food card comes in the form of the Healthy Options allowance. In this guide, we outline the Humana’s healthy food card and how you can find a plan near you that may offer the Medicare food card and grocery benefit.
How Does The Humana Healthy Foods Card Work?
Humana Medicare Advantage plan members with access to the Healthy Options benefit will receive a debit card preloaded with a balance that can range anywhere from $35 to $275 per month in 2023, depending on their specific plan.
The card may then be used to purchase approved items from participating stores.
For any questions about how to use your Humana Healthy Options card, call the member help line at 855-396-0691 (TTY: 711).
What Can I Buy With A Humana Healthy Foods Card?
The Humana grocery benefit and flex card can be used to pay for a range of approved products:
- Over-the-counter drugs and health products
- Pet food
- Non-medical transportation
- Assistive devices like grab bars or reaching aids
- Household goods like toilet paper, cleaning supplies, air conditioners and more
- Pest control services and supplies
- Disaster preparedness items like batteries and flashlights
A Humana Healthy Options allowance can also be used for copayments and other out-of-pocket costs for dental, vision and hearing care from approved providers.
Humana offers two additional types of preloaded debit cards.
- The Humana OTC card may be used for medicine, vitamins, first-aid supplies and other related products.
- The Flex card allowance may be used for copayments and coinsurance charges incurred for dental, vision and hearing care.
Where Can I Use My Humana Healthy Foods Card?
The Humana healthy foods card can be used at a wide range of grocery stores, pharmacies and other retailers throughout the U.S.
Participating stores may vary by location, so enter your zip code in the Humana Healthy Benefits store finder to see a list of approved locations in your area.
Can I Use My Humana Healthy Foods Card At Publix?
The Humana healthy foods card is typically accepted at Publix. Use the Humana Healthy Benefits store finder to check for participating stores near you.
How Do I Use My Humana Healthy Foods Card At Walmart?
You may use your Humana healthy foods card at Walmart by handing your card to a cashier at checkout and letting them scan the card. Once the card is scanned, the cost of the approved items will be deducted from your card balance.
If your card balance is not enough to cover the full cost of the items or if you are purchasing some non-approved items, you will then be asked to pay the remaining balance with an alternative payment method.
You may pay for your items using a Humana healthy foods card in a self-checkout lane by following the instructions below.
Please note: store policies may change and may vary based on location. Ask for help from a Walmart employee if you have questions about using your Humana Healthy Foods card at a Walmart location.
- Touch the “Pay Now” button
- Touch “Walmart Gift Card”
- Instead of swiping or inserting the card into the card reader, simply swipe the barcode just like a grocery item
- After you see the healthy foods discount apply, select your additional payment method and proceed with payment
Who Qualifies For The Humana Healthy Foods Card?
The Humana healthy foods card is available with all Humana Dual-eligible Special Needs Plans (D-SNPs), certain Chronic condition Special Needs Plans (C-SNPs) and select other Medicare Advantage plans.
How Do I Check My Healthy Groceries Card Balance?
You may check the balance of your Humana healthy foods card at any time by visiting the Healthy Benefits Plus website, calling the phone number on the back of your card or calling the Healthy Benefits helpline at 855-396-0691.
You may also access the Humana healthy foods card via a mobile app available for download on both Apple and Android devices.
How Do I Apply For A Humana Healthy Foods Card?
Contact a licensed insurance agent for help finding and comparing Humana Medicare Advantage plans in your area for which you may be eligible.