Does Medicare Cover Chantix?
- Does Medicare cover Chantix and other smoking cessation treatments? Learn how to save money on your prescriptions and how to tell if you're already covered.
Medicare only covers Chantix and similar medications if you're enrolled in a Medicare Part D plan or Advantage plan that offers prescription coverage for medications to help you quit smoking. You will need to have your doctor document your need for this type of medication to be approved for coverage. Because much will depend on the terms of your Advantage plan or the formulary of the Medicare Part D plan you’ve enrolled in, it is best to check the details of your plan and then work with your doctor so that you're prescribed a drug that is accepted.
What Insurance Pays for Chantix?
Certain Medicare Advantage plans offer prescription drug benefits and may cover Chantix. You may also receive coverage if it's approved through your Medicare Part D plan. Unfortunately, Medicare Supplement plans are no longer allowed to cover prescription drugs, so you won't be able to reduce the cost of your Chantix through one of these plans. It is also possible to get coverage for medications like Chantix through Medicaid.
How Much Does Chantix Cost Without Insurance?
It is difficult to provide an accurate estimation of the price of a medication without insurance coverage. Medications may vary in price dramatically between pharmacies, which is why it is a good idea to shop around. You may be able to sign up for discount drug programs that do most of the work for you by telling you which pharmacy offers the lowest price.
How Else Can You Reduce the Cost of Chantix?
Even if you're enrolled in a Medicare plan, you may be able to qualify for Medicaid. Each state runs its Medicaid program differently, but many states provide prescription drug benefits. If this is the case, your Chantix may be covered by your state’s Medicaid program.
If you still need assistance, you can turn to the following programs.
- Medicare Savings Programs: These programs help you put away money for the purpose of covering your medical expenses. If you have a Medicare Savings plan and require financial assistance, you are automatically eligible to receive aid from other state and local programs.
- Your local community: Check with your city government to see if there are non-profit organizations in your area that help with the cost of prescription medications. There are organizations dedicated to providing this type of assistance.
- Medicare Extra Help: If you meet the needed criteria, you will be able to receive assistance for your prescription medications and medical supplies through the Medicare Extra Help program.
- Manufacturer Discounts: Pharmaceutical companies often offer discount programs to help people who are unable to afford their medications. If you contact the manufacturer, you may be able to receive coupons or enroll in an assistance program that will lower the cost of your prescription drugs.
- Drug Discount Programs: Most states have drug discount programs that allow residents to seek financial aid. There are also websites that offer free drug discount memberships and provide you with lists of all the drug prices in your area. Sometimes, just driving a few minutes out of your way to a different pharmacy can save you a lot of money.
If your doctor feels you may benefit from Chantix, it is certainly possible that you can receive coverage for it through your Medicare Advantage plan or Part D coverage. Make sure to review your plan details and have your doctor obtain the required approval. Even if you're not covered, there are still ways you can get this medication for next to no cost.