Search the Humana Medicare Drug Formulary
- The Humana Medicare drug formulary guide allows you to find out which Humana Medicare drug plans cover your prescriptions. Access the formulary and learn more about your Medicare drug costs and how to get help paying for prescription drugs.
Medicare beneficiaries looking for prescription drug coverage can turn to a Humana Medicare Advantage (also called Medicare Part C) plan that includes drug coverage or a Medicare Part D prescription drug plan (PDP) for help.
Humana Medicare Rx benefits are available through either type of plan. Any Medicare drug coverage you get comes with its own formulary, or list of drugs that are covered by the plan.
Find out if a drug you’re taking is covered by a Humana Medicare Advantage plan that also includes extra benefits that may include dental, vision, hearing, home meal delivery and more. You can compare plans online or call to chat with a licensed insurance agent who can review the Humana Medicare plan formularies for the coverage available in your area.
Find Your Humana Medicare Drug Formulary
Current and prospective Humana Medicare plan beneficiaries can view their plan formulary in several ways, including through an online search or by printing the formulary for their plan.
Search for a Drug Using Humana’s Drug List Search
You may enter your zip code in the Humana Medicare Dug List Search to find formularies of the Humana plans in your area.
- You can select a plan, or you may select all available plans and click “Search Drug List.”
- On the next page you’ll be asked if you wish to import your recent prescription drug history for easy lookup. Otherwise, you may choose to enter your prescriptions manually.
- Lastly, you’ll be asked to enter the name of the drug and the dosage level.
After clicking “Check coverage,” you’ll be presented with a list of Humana Medicare Advantage and Medicare Part D plans that cover the drug.
Print a List of Covered Drugs
Current Humana members may also view and print a complete list of Humana’s covered drugs.
What Is a Formulary in a Health Insurance Plan?
A formulary is a list of drugs covered by a health insurance plan. The reason formularies are part of health insurance plans is because they’re used to establish coverage boundaries based on clinical performance and cost.
As mentioned above, formularies are used by Medicare Advantage and Medicare Part D, also known as Prescription Drug Plans (PDPs). Original Medicare (Part A and Part B) doesn’t typically cover prescription drugs that you receive at a retail pharmacy.
Which Drugs Are Covered by Humana Medicare Plans?
Humana Medicare plans cover a wide range of prescription drugs including everything from commonly prescribed generic drugs to rare, brand-name specialty medications.
A Humana drug formulary is divided into five different tiers of drugs and each tier may be covered differently under each Humana PDP plan.
- Tier 1 - Preferred, low-cost generic drugs
- Tier 2 - Non-preferred and low-cost generic drugs
- Tier 3 - Preferred brand-name and some higher-cost generic drugs
- Tier 4 - Non-preferred brand-name and some non-preferred high-cost generic drugs
- Tier 5- Highest-cost drugs including most specialty medications
Speaking to a licensed insurance agent is one way to determine if the drug you are taking is covered by a Humana plan.
Do All Medicare Part D Plans Have the Same Formulary?
Not all Medicare Part D plans have the same formulary. However, Medicare has a list of certain drugs that are required to be covered by all Part D plans. Once this minimum set of drugs is met, each Part D plan is free to add additional drugs to its formulary on its own terms.
Any drug included on a Humana plan will be covered at any provider within the Humana pharmacy network who accepts the plan.
What Types of Medications Are Not Covered on a Medicare Formulary?
There are laws dictating which types of drugs may and may not be covered by a Medicare Part D plan. Drugs that are not allowed to be included on a Medicare Advantage or Medicare Part D formulary include those used for:
- Anorexia, weight loss or weight gain
- Cosmetic purposes including hair growth
- Cold or cough symptoms
- Erectile dysfunction
Prescription vitamins and minerals are also not allowed to be included on a Medicare plan formulary nor are over-the-counter (non-prescription) drugs.
Find out if your prescription drugs are covered by a Humana Medicare Advantage plan where you live by comparing plans online or calling to get help from a licensed insurance agent.