Protective Life Insurance Reviews
- Protective Life Insurance has been around for more than 100 years and offers numerous insurance products, including term, universal and whole life policies.
Headquartered in Birmingham, Alabama, Protective Life Insurance relies on more than 100 years of experience in serving customers in the life insurance industry. In fact, the company paid out its first death claim in 1909, and since then has been evolving its product offers and level of service to meet the changing needs of its customers.
What Products and Services Does Protective Life Insurance Provide?
Protective Life Insurance offers whole, universal and term policies, with quotes available via phone or online.
Term Life Insurance
Protective offers a Classic Choice Term life insurance policy, which ranges from 10 to 40 years. The coverage ranges from $100,000 to $50,000,000 and offers the option to convert to a permanent policy as the needs of the consumer change (without a medical exam). Premiums are guaranteed and level, and there is an income tax free death benefit attached to this policy. There is also the option to add a terminal illness rider, which allows for accelerated death benefits for those states without laws in place to prohibit this feature.
Universal Life Insurance
Universal Life Insurance is a flexible policy that also boasts a cash value option. This policy boasts lifetime coverage and the cash value of the policy can be used to assist with premiums.
Protective Custom Choice Universal Life offers coverage from 10 to 30 years and allows for policy customization. Variable Universal Life allows for premium payments to be allocated to investment options, while Indexed Universal Life also offers cash value accumulation. This policy type, however, invests in safer, long-term options versus riskier investments.
Whole Life Insurance
Protective's whole life insurance policy is fairly straightforward and offers guaranteed death benefit coverage, cash value accumulation and the ability to access this value through loan options. Premiums for whole life insurance may be higher than those of term life, but these policies have more flexibility. They also come with a fixed rate, and the growth of cash value in these policies are tax-deferred.
The Pros and Cons of Protective Life Insurance
- High monetary value: One of the company's policies reaches as high as $50 million in coverage, making this an ideal option for those seeking high monetary values in their life insurance policies.
- Affordable term policies: One of the pros of Protective's term policies is that they are among the most affordable in the industry.
- Term policies as high as 40 years: Term life insurance policies are traditionally shorter, but Protective Life Insurance offers one that spans as high as 40 years.
- No online quoting for universal or whole life: Customers interested in a universal or whole life policy will need to call or see an agent in person to get a quote.
- No final expense policies: The company does offer a wide array of insurance policies, but final expense options are not among them.
What People Are Saying About Protective Life Insurance
Protective Life Insurance reviews emphasize the variety of products available, especially where term and universal life are concerned. Reviews also point out the speed at which the company pays out benefits and the ability to convert from term life insurance to a permanent policy without the need for a medical exam.
Drawbacks mentioned by reviewers include the fact that online quoting for some products are not available and the lack of final expense products.
Who Would Protective Life Insurance Be Good For?
Protective Life Insurance is good for individuals that want a range of policy options that offer cash value benefits and investment choices. In other words, consumers that want to put their insurance to work in ways that might enhance the value of the policy or bring in some extra cash, as needed. It is also ideal for those that want to convert term life policies to permanent ones without the hassle of a medical exam.
It is also a good life insurance company for non-smokers, as policies for smokers are considerably higher than industry standards.