What Is SSA-1099? How Do You Get a Replacement Form?

In this article...
  • What is form SSA-1099, and why do you need one? If you receive income from Social Security and owe taxes, find out how to get a copy of your SSA-1099 for your records.
Man Filling Out A Form

The SSA-1099 is the federal tax form that shows the total amount of Social Security income you received from social security in the previous tax year. This is a vital document that the IRS or your state tax board can request as part of an audit.

The Social Security Administration (SSA) mails out this form every year, beginning in January, to people who receive Social Security benefits and reside in the United States.

Another form, the SSA-1042s, provides similar information about benefits for non-citizens who live outside of the United States.

How to Order a Replacement SSA-1099

If you have lost your SSA-1099, or if the document you need never arrived, you can request a replacement copy from the Social Security Administration. Replacement forms are available from February 1 onwards for enrollees with Social Security income to report.

To order a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042s, log onto the SSA website with your Social Security account information. If you do not have an account, you can create one the first time you visit with information from the IRS on your tax return.

From the main account screen, choose the option to download a printable version of forms SSA-1099 and SSA-1042s, open the document and print.

This is a legal replacement document for the original, and it should be kept with your other tax documents, such as your Social Security benefit statements and other proof of income.

Proof of Benefits Letter

People who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) do not need a form SSA-1099 or an SSA-1042s. SSI and Medicare enrollees can instead request a proof of benefits letter from the SSA by logging into their account and requesting a paper copy of the form.

This usually arrives within 10 days, and it has the same effect as the SSA-1099 does for Social Security retirement benefits. You can also request a proof of benefits letter to show that you have never received SSI, or that you have applied and your application is still pending.