UnitedHealthcare Healthy Food Card 2023 Review
- The UnitedHealthcare healthy food card allows Medicare Advantage plan members to pay for food, health products and even utility bills. See our review of the 2023 UHC healthy food card and learn how to find plans in your area that offer this Medicare grocery benefit.
Medicare Advantage plans can offer a number of additional benefits not found in Original Medicare.
Coverage for prescription drugs, dental and vision care, hearing aids and gym memberships are among the more widely known perks. But one benefit that has been gaining traction in recent years is healthy food cards and over-the-counter (OTC) benefits.
In this review, we take a look at the UnitedHealthcare healthy food card benefit to help you decide if this added feature may be worth considering for your next Medicare Advantage plan.
What Is the UnitedHealthcare Healthy Food Benefit for 2023?
The UnitedHealthcare healthy food card, or Ucard, is a pre-loaded debit card that may be used to buy food and over-the-counter health products and even pay for home utility bills.
The Ucard balance is replenished every month.
What Can I Buy With My Healthy Food Card?
A UnitedHealthcare UCard may be used to purchase approved food items, over-the-counter medications and health items and even utility bills. You UnitedHealthcare Ucard also serves as your plan ID card that you would present to a doctor or pharmacy when using your plan benefits or checking in at the gym.
You can use the UnitedHealthcare website or mobile app to check your card balance or available rewards, find participating stores and shop for approved items.
The UnitedHealthcare healthy food card can be used to purchase a large list of grocery items including milk, fruits and vegetables, eggs, bread, frozen meals, cheese, condiments and more.
The list of items you can purchase with a UnitedHealthcare UCard may differ from one retailer to another, but the list of approved items from Walmart can give you an idea of the type of foods you can expect to buy.
OTC Health Products
A UnitedHealthcare healthy food card may also be used to purchase over-the-counter health products found in pharmacies and grocery stores such as cold and cough medicines, pain and allergy relievers, bandages, toothpaste, vitamins and much more.
You can use a UnitedHealthcare Ucard to pay utility bills like your electricity, gas, water and internet bills.
Where Can I Use My UnitedHealthcare Healthy Food Card?
A UnitedHealthcare healthy food card can be used at more than 35,000 participating stores including major retailers such as:
- Numerous local brands
You can even use the card to shop online and get free home delivery with a minimum order total.
Utility bills can be paid for online or over the phone or at a Walmart MoneyCenter.
What Is a UnitedHealthcare Reward Card?
UnitedHealthcare offers several different rewards programs for Medicare Advantage members.
- UnitedHealthcare Rewards encourages members to earn rewards for reaching goals and completing activities. This rewards program is typically offered through UHC workplace insurance plans.
- Rally is a website and mobile app that UnitedHealthcare members can use to earn rewards for practicing healthy habits.
- SimplyEngaged is an incentive program that rewards members for participating in biometric screenings and completing health activities.
- UnitedHealthcare Motion utilizes a device to track activity, set goals and earn financial rewards that may be applied to a health savings account.
- UnitedHealth Personal Rewards combines tools and incentives for better health and lifestyle decisions that allow members to earn gift cards, health savings account deposits and other rewards.
Many UnitedHealthcare Medicare Advantage plans also come with Renew Active memberships. Renew Active is a health and fitness program designed specifically for older adults and offers its own rewards program for participants.
Can D-SNP Members Use a UnitedHealthcare Food Card?
UnitedHealthcare Dual-eligible Special Needs Plans (D-SNPs) typically include a healthy food card. These types of plans are designed for those who qualify for both Medicare and Medicaid.
How Do I Enroll in a UnitedHealthcare Plan With a Food Card?
Start by contacting a licensed insurance agent to learn about the various UnitedHealthcare Medicare Advantage plans available in your area that include a healthy food card benefit. An agent can help you determine which plan may be best suited for your needs, confirm your eligibility and help you enroll at your earliest eligible enrollment period.
Around 95% of all Medicare consumers will have access to a UnitedHealthcare plan in 2023, giving the company one of the largest footprints in the industry.1