Humana Medicare Decision Guide
- Read the Humana Medicare Decision Guide to learn about changing your Medicare coverage. Learn what’s in the guide from Humana and how you can find even more up-to-date information about Humana Medicare plans.
Medicare beneficiaries can be faced with some tough decisions about their coverage each year, particularly when it comes to choosing between Medicare Advantage (Medicare Part C) and Prescription Drug Plans (Medicare Part D).
In 2021, Humana published a “Medicare Decision Guide” in an effort to help current and incoming Medicare beneficiaries make informed decisions about their benefits. While the guide is no doubt helpful, it may not contain the latest information regarding Humana Medicare plans.
For more up-to-date information, it’s recommended you connect with a live insurance agent who is licensed to sell Humana insurance plans and who can answer your questions and help determine the best type of policy for your needs. You can also request a free Humana Medicare plan quote online with no obligation to enroll.
What Is the Humana Medicare Decision Guide?
The Humana Medicare Decision Guide details important Medicare information for beneficiaries, such as:
- The different parts of Medicare
- Questions to consider when selecting coverage
- What Humana Medicare Advantage plans cover
- The perks of Medicare Part D
- Reasons to choose Humana
- Enrollment dates
The Different Parts Of Medicare
Medicare is split up into several different parts.
- Part A (hospital coverage) and Part B (medical coverage) make up what’s known as “Original Medicare,” which is the taxpayer-funded portion of Medicare.
- Medicare Part C, better known as “Medicare Advantage,” are plans sold by private insurance companies as an alternative to Original Medicare. Medicare Advantage plans cover everything found in Original Medicare, and plans may offer extra benefits like prescription drugs, dental, vision, hearing and other benefits not covered by Original Medicare.
- Medicare Part D plans are Prescription Drug Plans that only cover medications. Part D doesn't cover services or benefits, so a Part D plan can be pared with Original Medicare benefits or with a Medicare Advantage plan that doesn't already include drug coverage.
- Medicare Supplement Insurance (also called Medigap), which are privately-sold insurance plans that work alongside your Original Medicare benefits to pay for things like Medicare copays, coinsurance, deductibles and more.
Medicare Advantage plans, Medicare Part D plans and Medicare Supplement plans are not provided by the federal government and are instead sold by private insurance companies like Humana.
Questions to Consider When Selecting Coverage
The Humana Medicare Decision Guide goes over some questions you should ask yourself when considering a private Medicare plan. These include:
- What matters most to me?
- Why do I need more than Original Medicare?
- How can I get help with uncovered expenses?
A licensed insurance agent will be able to talk through these and many more questions with you.
What Do Humana Medicare Advantage Plans Cover?
Humana dedicated a section of its Medicare Decision Guide to explaining the things that Medicare Advantage plans cover and how these plans compare to Original Medicare.
In addition to all Original Medicare benefits and coverage for prescription drugs, dental, vision and hearing care, Medicare Advantage plans can also include:
- Memberships to gyms and wellness programs
- Annual out-of-pocket limits
- $0 copays for many preventive services
- Worldwide emergency coverage while traveling
- Caregiver support resources
- Home delivery of prescription drugs
The Perks of Medicare Part D
The Humana Medicare Decision Guide outlines some of the benefits of a Medicare Part D plan, such as:
- Significant savings on prescription medications
- Compatibility with Medicare Advantage plans that do not include drug coverage of their own
- Mail delivery of prescription drugs
- Easy tracking of your drug spending
Reasons to Choose Humana
The Humana Medicare Decision Guide lists seven reasons for choosing a Humana Medicare Advantage plan.
- Peace of mind
- More coverage
- Extra benefits and services
- Competitive pricing
- Easy-to-use plans
- Proven trust
- Impressive savings for beneficiaries
Medicare Enrollment Dates
The Humana Medicare Decision Guide details the dates for which you may enroll in Medicare. For a more detailed explanation of Medicare enrollment dates and eligibility criteria, explore our detailed Medicare enrollment guide.
How Do I Find Humana Medicare Plans Near Me?
You can request a free online plan comparison or call to speak with a licensed insurance agent to find out which – if any – Humana Medicare Advantage plans are available where you live. They can help you compare exactly what's covered by each plan, the costs involved, whether a plan covers your preferred doctor or medications and more.