Does Aetna Cover Life Alert Emergency Response Systems?
- If you are an older adult with Aetna insurance looking for Life Alert coverage, find out what options you have for Life Alert or other medical alert systems.
Medical alert systems can bring peace of mind to older adults, ensuring that help is just the press of a button away if they need sudden medical assistance. For many, the Life Alert brand comes to mind first, as it is one of the oldest and most advertised companies offering medical alert systems.
If you have an Aetna Medicare plan or are considering enrolling in on, you may be wondering if it can help cover the cost of Life Alert. You can find the answer to this question and more information on how much Life Alert costs and possible alternatives below.
Does Aetna Cover Life Alert?
Like most health insurance companies, Aetna does not usually cover the cost of Life Alert systems, as it deems it a safety item. However, Aetna plans vary, so you should confirm with the company about whether Life Alert is covered by your plan.
While Aetna Medicare plans typically don't cover Life Alert, Aetna Medicare plan members may be able to take advantage of special Aetna discounts from LifeStation, the #1-rated medical alert system. Aetna members can shop special offers starting at $19.95 per month.
It's possible that you may be able to have a doctor write a note supporting that a personal alert system like Life Alert would be beneficial for you due to being a high fall risk or living with a chronic condition. This note can sometimes be used to make a direct appeal to the insurance company.
How Much Does Life Alert Cost Out of Pocket?
In the absence of an Aetna plan that covers medical alert systems, paying for Life Alert out of pocket is quite expensive. An estimated breakdown of Life Alert shows what you can expect to pay:
- $95 for the activation fee
- $49.95 per month for the base unit and the pendant (the button that you wear around your neck or your wrist)
- $19.95 per month to add another help button or a GPS device, with an additional activation fee
So, if you opt for Life Alert, you can expect to pay in the neighborhood of $50 to $70 a month for the service, with an activation fee of as much as $198.
In addition to the relatively high cost, one potential drawback of Life Alert is that the user has to sign a 3-year contract (with no trial period) that can't be broken unless the user dies or enters into a nursing home or other care facility.
What Alternatives to Life Alert Are Available to Aetna Members?
Aetna members are eligible for discounted rates on products and services from medical alert system provider LifeStation. This company offers services similar to that of Life Alert, as well as a few additional services. LifeStation has three product levels, shown below with pricing for Aetna members:
- Traditional (starting at $19.95 per month) offers an in-home medical alert pendant worn around the neck. The waterproof pendant features automatic fall detection and works within 500 feet of the base station. However, users must have landline telephone service.
- Wireless (starting at $25.95 per month) offers a similar service to Traditional, but it works with AT&T's wireless network and doesn't require your home to have a landline telephone. The pendant, however, must still be within 600 feet of the base station to function.
- On the Go (starting at $29.95 per month) offers you the ability to go outside your home and still be covered by LifeStation service. With a GPS-enabled pendant, LifeStation's support team can locate you anywhere in the United States (as long as you're in an area with AT&T wireless phone coverage).
LifeStation plans offer some other neat features, such as "Find My Loved One." This lets designated friends and family members of a LifeStation user see the user's location on a real-time map sent via text message. LifeStation also integrates with Amazon's Alexa, allowing designated friends and family to locate a LifeStation user by summoning the information via their Amazon smart speaker or Amazon's free Alexa app. Another benefit of LifeStation is that they offer a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Compare Aetna Medicare Advantage plans online to find a plan near you that offers these special Aetna medical alert system discounts and more.