Expand Medicare Coverage With Accendo Medigap Plans
- Learn about different Accendo Medigap plans, and discover some of the benefits and discounts the company offers to supplement Original Medicare coverage.
Accendo Insurance Company is a relatively new provider that offers Medicare Supplement health insurance, or Medigap. Accendo Medigap plans can help cover some of the healthcare expenses that your Original Medicare plan doesn't.
Accendo Medigap Plans
When a private insurance company like Accendo wants to sell Medigap policies, it can choose from the government's 10 standardized options. Some states also allow two additional high–deductible policies. Accendo may choose to offer a different selection of Medigap plans in each area.
Some of the Medigap plans Accendo sells include Plan A, B, F, G and N. Keep in mind that Plan F is only available to people who were enrolled in Medicare before January 1, 2020.
Accendo does not operate in every state.
Accendo Medigap Discount
In most states, Accendo offers a 14% discount on each of its Medigap plans for enrollees who live in the same house. This is one of the highest discounts available from any private insurance company.
If you live in North Dakota, the discount drops to 10%. Household discounts are not available in Vermont, Idaho, Florida or New Jersey.
What Are the Benefits of Accendo's Medigap Plans?
Specific benefits can vary from plan to plan. However, the government requires that each Medigap plan have a standardized set of benefits. In other words, a Medigap Plan A from Accendo must have the same basic benefits as a Medigap Plan A from another insurance company. The only difference is the price of the policy and how the company handles the underwriting process.
According to standardization rules, all of Accendo's Medigap plans offer full or partial coverage for:
- Medicare Part A hospital costs and coinsurance for 1 year after you use up all Medicare benefits
- Medicare Part B copays or coinsurance
- 3 pints of blood
- Medicare Part A hospice copays or coinsurance
If you live in Massachusetts, Minnesota or Wisconsin, the standard benefits may be different; these three states use a different standardization process.
Additional benefits vary by plan:
- Accendo Medigap Plan G: Plan G is the most popular option. It provides full coverage for a range of benefits, including the coinsurance for skilled nursing care, excess charge for Medicare Part B and 80% of medically necessary emergency care services outside the United States. In some states, you can also opt for a high-deductible version of Plan G.
- Accendo Medigap Plan N: Plan N offers the same benefits as Plan G, with one key exception — it does not cover the Medicare Part B excess charge. This may not be an issue, since some states don't allow healthcare providers to make excess charges. You may also need to make a copayment of $20 for office visits and $50 for certain emergency room visits.
- Accendo Medigap Plan A: Plan A offers full coverage for the standard benefits listed above.
- Accendo Medigap Plan B: In addition to the above benefits, Plan B covers your Medicare Part B deductible.
While plan availability may vary by state, these benefits are guaranteed in all states except for Massachusetts, Minnesota and Wisconsin.
Who Is Eligible for Accendo Medigap Plans?
To be eligible for a Medicare supplement plan from Accendo Insurance Company, you must be at least 65 years old and qualified for Medicare. The best time to buy is in your Medigap open enrollment period — especially if you have health problems. During this period, which starts when you get Medicare Part B coverage and runs for 6 months, the government requires Accendo and other providers to charge you the same amount as people without health problems.
After the open enrollment period ends, Accendo is legally allowed to deny your application or charge higher premiums.
Depending on where you live, you may be eligible for an Accendo Medigap plan earlier than 65. Typically, this happens if you qualify for Medicare due to a disability or end-stage renal disease.
Is Accendo a Legitimate Insurance Company?
Accendo, which launched in 2020, is a legitimate company headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah. Although it's a new Medigap provider, Accendo is backed by two well-known industry names — it's a CVS Health company and an affiliate of the insurance provider Aetna. Both companies offer high financial strength ratings and stable outlooks.