Amerigroup Medicare Plans Review
Amerigroup is part of the Anthem family of insurance companies. Our review outlines Amerigroup Medicare and Medicaid plans, including what they cover and how you can enroll.
Amerigroup is an insurance company offering Medicare, Medicaid and other public insurance programs in select areas around the United States. Amerigroup is based in Virginia, Beach, VA, and was originally founded in 1994 as AMERICAID Community Care.
In this review, we explore Amerigroup Medicare plans, including what they cover and how you may be able to find a plan available where you live.
Amerigroup sells Medicare insurance plans in the following seven states:
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
Not all plans are available in all areas, so it may be helpful for you to compare plans online for free or call to speak with a licensed insurance agent who can help you find a plan near you.
Amerigroup offers all three types of private Medicare insurance: Medicare Advantage (Medicare Part C) plans, Medicare Part D prescription drug plans and Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap) plans.
Amerigroup Medicare Advantage
Medicare Advantage plans provide all of the same benefits as Medicare Part A and Part B while also offering coverage for some additional services not included in Part A or Part B such as dental, vision, hearing, prescription drugs and more.
Amerigroup Medicare Advantage plans are called “Amerivantage” plans. Amerivantage plans typically come in the form of HMOs (Health Maintenance Organization). Under an HMO, you will select a primary care physician who will see you for all initial visits and then coordinate any further care within the Amerigroup network of participating doctors, specialists and pharmacies.
Amerigroup also offers Special Needs Plans (SNPs). These plans are specifically designed to meet the needs of beneficiaries of particular circumstances. These include:
- Chronic condition Special Needs Plans (C-SNP) for people with diabetes, heart disease, kidney failure or other chronic conditions.
- Dual-eligible Special Needs Plans (D-SNP) for beneficiaries who are eligible for both Medicare and Medicaid.
- Institutional Special Needs Plans (I-SNP) for beneficiaries living in assisted living, nursing homes or other institutional living.
In addition to all Medicare Part A and Part B coverage, some of the additional benefits found in Amerigroup’s Medicare Advantage plans include:
- Dental and vision care
- Prescription drug coverage
- Memberships to SilverSneakers, a health and fitness program designed specifically for seniors
- Coverage of hearing tests and hearing aids
- Discounts and coverage for over-the-counter health items like cold medicine
- Annual out-of-pocket limits that protect beneficiaries from excessive medical costs
- Telehealth visits with doctors
- Allowances for transportation, personal home helpers and healthy food deliveries
Many of Amerigroup’s Medicare Advantage plans are available for $0 premiums.
Every year, Medicare rates plans using a 5-star rating system. Amerigroup Medicare Advantage plans received a three-star quality rating from Medicare in 2021. Three stars is considered average on the five-star scale.
Amerigroup Medicare Part D Plans
Medicare Part D plans provide coverage for prescription medications. Amerigroup Part D plans have copayments as low as just $1 for generic drugs and monthly premiums as low as $20.50 (in 2021).
Like its Medicare Advantage plans, Amerigroup Part D plans were also rated as three stars for quality in 2021.
Amerigroup Medigap Plans
Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap) plans provide coverage for some of the gaps in Medicare Part A and Part B coverage such as deductibles, copayments, coinsurance and other out-of-pocket requirements.
There are 10 different types of Medigap plans that are all standardized by the federal government and identified by a letter. Amerigroup offers Plan A, F, G and N. The chart below details the benefits of the four Medigap plans offered by Amerigroup and how they compare with other Medigap plans.
|Medicare Supplement Benefits||A||B||C1||D||F1||G||K||L||M||N|
|Part A coinsurance and hospital costs||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Part B coinsurance or copayment||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||50%||75%||✓||✓|
|First 3 pints of blood||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||50%||75%||✓||✓|
|Part A hospice care co-insurance or co-payment||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||50%||75%||✓||✓|
|Co-insurance for skilled nursing facility||✓||✓||✓||✓||50%||75%||✓||✓|
|Medicare Part A deductible||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||50%||75%||50%||✓|
|Medicare Part B deductible||✓||✓|
|Medicare Part B excess charges||✓||✓|
|Foreign travel emergency||80%||80%||80%||80%||80%||80%|
|1. Plans C and F are not available to new beneficiaries who became eligible for Medicare on or after January 1, 2020.
2. Plans F and G also offer a high deductible plan which has an annual deductible of $2,490 in 2022. Once the annual deductible is met, the plan pays 100% of covered services for the rest of the year. The high deductible Plan F is not available to new beneficiaries who became eligible for Medicare on or after January 1, 2020.
3. Plan K has an out-of-pocket yearly limit of $6,620 in 2022. Plan L has an out-of-pocket yearly limit of $3,310 in 2022.
4. Plan N pays 100% of the Part B coinsurance, except for a copayment of up to $20 for some office visits and up to $50 for emergency room visits that don’t result in an inpatient admission.
View an image version of this table.
Amerigroup Medicare plans may be used at a wide range of hospitals, doctor’s offices, dentists and more. Amerigroup Part D plans and Medicare Advantage plans with prescription drug coverage can be used at over 66,000 pharmacies including many of the larger chain pharmacies.
Amerigroup Medigap plans are accepted by any health care provider who accepts Original Medicare.
You can compare Medicare Advantage plans and prescription drug plans online for free, with no obligation to enroll, or you can call to speak with a licensed insurance agent who can help you compare plans.
You can also compare Medicare Supplement plans online to find out which plans are available where you live. If you're eligible, you may even be able to apply for a plan today.