Kansas Medicaid Eligibility and Enrollment

In this article...
  • Kansas Medicaid, KMAP and KanCare provide health care to low-income state residents. Here's information on eligibility requirements and how to apply for benefits.

The Kansas Medicaid program provides medical benefits to some low-income Kansas residents. The federal government established Medicaid and sets some of its rules, but each state is responsible for developing guidelines and administering benefits within the state. 

Medicaid helps ensure that enrollees can access essential health care services, and it functions in a way that is similar to health insurance. It may cover doctor's appointments, urgent care, pregnancy care, surgery and long-term care. Medicaid in Kansas is also sometimes called the Kansas Medical Assistance Program, or KMAP

Are Medicaid and KanCare the Same Thing? 

KanCare is a significant part of the Kansas Medicaid program. The KanCare program administers Medicaid benefits through a contract with three managed care organizations:

  • Aetna
  • Sunflower
  • UnitedHealthcare

Managed care organizations attempt to provide effective health care services at a low cost by coordinating services and ensuring that enrollees receive preventative care. 

Who Is Eligible for Medicaid in Kansas?

A person must be a Kansas resident and reside legally within the United States to be eligible for Kansas Medicaid. They must also meet low-income requirements and fall into one of the following categories:

  • Pregnant women 
  • Children
  • Parents and caregivers of children 
  • Blind or disabled persons 
  • People age 65 or older 

Medicaid in Kansas is not available to all low-income adults — only to those who fit into one of these eligible categories. 

What Are the Income Requirements to Qualify for Kansas Medicaid?

Income limits to qualify for Medicaid in Kansas depend on a person's eligibility category. Kansas considers household size and income before taxes when determining Medicaid eligibility. 

Pregnant Women and Children Under 19 

Pregnant women may qualify for benefits if their household income is no more than 133% of the federal poverty level (FPL). That's $2,810 per month for a one-person household or $3,543 per month for a two-person household. 

Children between 1 and 5 years of age may qualify if their household income is not more than 149% of the FPL ($2,141 for a two-person household). Children between the ages of 6 and 18 qualify if their household income is no more than 113% of the FPL ($1,624 for a two-person household). 

Children under the age of 19 may qualify for a KanCare CHIP plan with a two-person household income of no more than $4,191. Under a CHIP plan, the child's family must pay a premium of between $20 and $50 per month. 

Parents and Caregivers of Children

Benefits are available through KanCare to parents of children under the age of 19. If children are living with relatives or other legal guardians, the program is open to those adults instead. The children must live in the same household as the adult applying for Medicaid coverage. 

Income limits for this category are set by the state as listed in the table below.

Number of People in Household

Monthly Income Limit









Enrollees may be required to cooperate with Child Support Enforcement if applicable. 

Older Adults and People With Disabilities 

Kansas residents who are over the age of 65, are blind or have disabilities may also qualify for Medicaid. This category includes people who need long-term care in a nursing home or other institutional facility. Generally, the monthly income limit for a one-person household is $1,616

For most people in this category, Kansas also imposes a limit on countable assets. Countable assets include things like bank accounts, stocks, life insurance and extra vehicles. But the state often excludes a person's primary home, one car and household items. The asset limit for a single person is usually $2,000, but individuals working with a disability may be allowed up to $15,000 in assets. 

How Do I Enroll in Medicaid in Kansas?

There are two applications to enroll in Kansas Medicaid. One application is for older adults and people with disabilities. Another application is for pregnant women, families and children. You must fill out the correct application to enroll. 

You can complete an application online through a self-service portal. A paper application can be printed from the KanCare website or requested by calling 800-792-4884. Older adults and those with disabilities should return paper applications by fax to 844-264-6285. Children, families and pregnant women should fax applications to 800-498-1255.

Contact Information for Kansas Medicaid

You can contact various departments by telephone regarding Medicaid in Kansas: 


Telephone Number

KMAP Customer Service 


Managed Care Enrollment Center


KanCare Eligibility


KanCare Ombudsman Office


You can also find additional information about these programs at the KMAP website or the KanCare Website