Alaska Medicaid Eligibility and Enrollment

In this article...
  • Get information about Alaska Medicaid programs, also known as DenaliCare. Determine eligibility for benefits, and find out how to apply for Medicaid in Alaska.

This program provides coverage for basic health care and long-term care for qualifying Alaska residents. Although the Medicaid program was created by the federal government, the Alaska Division of Health Care Services (DHCS) manages and administers benefits for Alaskans. The program is funded through the state and federal government, and both levels of government have some control over the program. Medicaid in Alaska is a primary source of public benefits for qualifying citizens. 

Is DenaliCare the Same as Medicaid? 

Medicaid in Alaska is also called DenaliCare. For children and pregnant women in Alaska, it's also called Denali KidCare. These Medicaid benefits for children are also sometimes referred to as the Children's Health Insurance Program or CHIP. 

Who Is Eligible for Medicaid in Alaska?

The U.S. government requires Medicaid coverage to be available to certain constituencies. Alaska Medicaid coverage may be available to the following people: 

  • Low-income children
  • Pregnant women
  • Families 
  • Low-income adults
  • Blind or permanently disabled people 
  • Individuals requiring long-term institutional care

The Alaska Division of Public Assistance (DPA) sets eligibility guidelines and makes determinations on whether an individual or family qualifies for Alaska Medicaid.  Eligibility is based on family size, income, assets and whether the applicant falls into any special category. Eligibility for children depends on the income of their parents or caregivers.

For children and adults, including pregnant women, eligibility is based on a family's modified adjusted gross income (MAGI). To qualify for Alaska Medicaid, a person's MAGI must not be more than a certain percentage of the federal poverty level for Alaska (FPL) for the applicable household size. 

  • Pregnant women may qualify if their MAGI is no more than 205% of the FPL 
  • Other adults may qualify if their MAGI is no more than 138% of FPL ($25,130) for a household of one 
  • Children without other insurance may qualify if their household income is no more than 208% of FPL 

Others, such as older adults, working people with disabilities and institutionalized children may qualify for Medicaid based on other income standards. For example, institutionalized children qualify if their income is no more than $2,382 (300% of the Supplemental Security Income). Alaska provides a self-screening tool through their online portal, which can help you determine eligibility. 

How Do I Enroll in Medicaid in Alaska?

To enroll in Alaska Medicaid, you must submit an application for benefits. Applications may be submitted online through the federal government or through Alaska's self-service portal. A written application may also be submitted via fax or mail. 

Your application will need to include information about your identity, income, and family size as well as any disabilities or other relevant medical information. Alaska attempts to verify information electronically but may sometimes need you to provide additional documentation. Necessary documents may include: 

  • Identification such as a driver's license, birth certificate, or passport 
  • Income information such as pay stubs and tax forms 
  • Proof of Alaska residency 
  • Documents pertaining to child support, child custody and marital status

There are additional agreements you must make with the State of Alaska when you apply for Medicaid. You must agree to assign any payments from third parties to the State if the payment is for medical benefits that are paid by your Medicaid benefits. You must also agree to apply for other available resources that may become available to you to cover the cost of care. If you're applying for benefits for a minor child, you may also be required to cooperate with the state in establishing paternity. 

Contact Information for Alaska Medicaid

Questions about Medicaid in Alaska should be directed to the Alaska Department of Health and Social Services. For general questions, call (907) 465-3347. For questions about Medicaid eligibility and claims, call (907) 644-6800 or 1-800-770-5650. Alaska Medicaid is also handled through the Public Assistance Office. Contact information can be found on their website and includes phone numbers for local offices.