Stay in Touch With the Best Smartphones for Seniors
- Keep in contact with your loved ones with these smartphones for seniors. Each phone offers exceptional audio and a user-friendly design for easy communication.
Communication technology has evolved dramatically in the past few decades. Today, you're not limited to a traditional landline or a flip phone — smartphones for seniors provide more ways to stay in touch with your loved ones.
Who Might Benefit From Smartphones for Seniors?
Older adults in every age bracket can benefit from smartphones. These devices offer a variety of communication and convenience features that can make your life easier, such as cameras, internet access, and video calling, just to name a few. Many models also come with emergency services, so you can get help in case of a fall or injury.
If you're dealing with vision problems, you can benefit from smartphones with built-in voice-assistant technology. Instead of looking at the screen, simply speak commands out loud.
Does Medicare or Insurance Cover Smartphones for Seniors?
In most cases, Medicare and other insurance plans do not cover smartphones. However, once you have a smartphone, you can use it for telehealth video appointments, virtual check-ins, or e-visits that are covered by some Medicare Part B plans.
Important Considerations When Choosing Smartphones for Seniors
As you're considering smartphones for seniors, usability is the most important factor. The phone should meet common needs of older adults, including challenges with vision and hearing. It's also important to consider carriers and service areas, particularly if you live in a remote or rural area.
Some of the features to look for include:
- High volume range
- Hearing aid compatibility
- Bright, high-resolution screen
- Ability to increase text size
- Access to emergency services
- Comfortable size for viewing and holding
17 Best Smartphones for Seniors
When you start to shop for a smartphone, you'll find that there's an option for every budget — you can buy a no-frills phone for less than $100 or a high-end device for $1,000. Choose from a dizzying array of features, including studio-quality cameras, emergency alerts, and waterproof cases. Start your research with these senior-friendly smartphones.
1. Lively - Jitterbug Smart3
The Jitterbug Smart3 is a smartphone that's designed specifically for older adults. The ultra-simple design comes with the essential functions: phone, texts, camera, internet connectivity, email and maps. Every feature is located in a single navigation list, so it's easy to find the option you need. If you need help, just push "0" to reach an operator.
- Bright, easy-to-see display
- Large-scale text and numbers
- Extra-loud speakers and speakerphone
- M4/T4 hearing aid compatible
- Affordable monthly rates for talk, text and data
2. LG Premier Pro Plus
If you're interested in prepaid smartphones for seniors, the LG Premier Pro Plus is a solid option. Sleek and streamlined, this phone offers the look of a high-end phone at a budget-friendly price. The HD+ screen is clear and crisp; at 6.1 inches, it offers a large viewing area for video calls to grandkids.
- Battery lasts for 17.5 hours
- Bluetooth 5.0 connects to compatible hearing aids
- Android operating system
- Strong and durable metal case
- Front and rear cameras
3. Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max
The Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max is a premium smartphone option to consider if you're comfortable with technology and a higher price point. This high-end phone is packed with features, including voice-recognition technology and high-end cameras that outperform most point-and-shoot models. With Face ID, you can use your face to log into apps, so there's no need to remember many different passwords.
- Large, 6.7-inch screen for visibility
- Magnifier and Zoom features to increase text size
- Super-bright Super Retina XDR display
- Emergency SOS calls 911 and alerts your chosen contacts
- Connects to Made for iPhone hearing aids
4. Apple iPhone SE
The iPhone SE offers iconic Apple style and cutting-edge features at an affordable price point. With its 4.7-inch display, the SE fits comfortably into one hand. Front and back cameras allow high-resolution photography and video calls, so you can chat with family and capture memories. The screen uses Retina HD technology for maximum visibility in any lighting conditions.
- Lighting-fast A13 Bionic chip
- Sturdy glass and metal body is water-resistant
- Fingerprint sensor for one-touch login
- Magnifier sets a custom text size for legibility
- Siri voice-control technology
5. Google Pixel 6
Capture photos of your friends and family with the Google Pixel 6; it has one of the best smartphone cameras on the market. This phone is ideal if you tend to drop your phone because the Gorilla Glass display stands up to water, scratches and impact. In an emergency, the Personal Safety app can call 911 and share your location with family and friends. It can even detect when you're in a car crash and alert first responders.
- Battery life of up to 48 hours
- Fingerprint unlock
- Front camera and two or three rear cameras
- Google Tensor chip for high-speed performance
- Titan M2 security to protect your data
6. Google Pixel 5a With 5G
If you like the look of the Pixel 6, the Pixel 5a offers similar style at a more affordable price. It's still a full-featured smartphone; the camera is impressive, and the case is durable. This phone also comes with 5G, so you'll always be able to access the fastest available cellular data.
- Personal Safety app can share location, detect car crashes and call 911
- Call Screen filters out spam phone calls
- Large, high-definition screen for visibility
- Display settings allow increased text size
- Extreme battery saver for a 48-hour battery life
7. Galaxy S21 FE 5G
With a screen size of 6.4 inches, the Galaxy S21 FE 5G has a large viewing area so you can enlarge the font size and still fit a decent number of words on the display. The S21 FE is one of Samsung's premium Galaxy S models, but it's reasonably priced in comparison to top models from brands like Apple.
- AMOLED display is bright and vibrant for legibility in any light
- Gorilla Glass Victus screen resists cracks and chips
- 3 rear cameras and 1 front camera for photography and video calls
- A single battery charge lasts all day
- Emergency calling for 911 calls from the lock screen
8. OnePlus 9
If you like the style and premium feel of an iPhone but prefer the Android operating system, the OnePlus 9 is worth a look. It's one of the only Android models to offer a silent switch, so you can mute sounds quickly. The Fluid AMOLED display has a high brightness and color saturation, so it's ideal if you have vision issues.
- High-end Hasselblad cameras
- Integrated cooling system prevents phone from overheating
- Warp Charge 65T recharges the battery in 29 minutes
- Emergency Rescue provides convenient emergency calling
9. Nokia G300
The Nokia G300 is one of the most affordable 5G smartphones on the market, coming in under $200. When you're in an area with 5G coverage, that means faster internet connections and smooth video calls. Because the high-definition display measures 6.5 inches, you won't need to strain to see text or images. A fingerprint sensor lets you unlock the phone without remembering a PIN, and the substantial case feels comfortable in your hand.
- 48 hours of battery life
- Brightness Boost for enhanced visibility
- OZO Audio Surround delivers loud, clear sound
- Customizable screen for personalized navigation
- 3 front cameras and 1 rear camera
10. Nokia G10
The Nokia G10 offers a nice balance of modern features and affordability. This model is designed for usability, with an extended battery life and a large, high-visibility screen. Don't worry about typing in a password; you can unlock the phone with your face or your fingerprint.
- Three cameras for easy family photos
- Bright 6.5-inch screen for comfortable viewing
- Regular security updates protect your personal data
- Android operating system
- Multiple color options
11. Cricket Icon 3
When budget is a consideration, it's hard to beat the Cricket Icon 3. For less than $100, this senior-friendly smartphone provides an expansive 6.5-inch HD+ screen for effortless visibility. This model is ideal if you don't need many bells and whistles. It comes with an internet browser, front and rear cameras and a long-lasting battery. Cricket uses AT&T's network, so it offers coverage in many rural areas.
- 32GB of storage can be expanded with a microSD
- Rear-mounted fingerprint sensor for ergonomic unlocking
- Includes a 2-year Cricket warranty for peace of mind
- Battery saver mode saves your charge for all-day use
- M4/T3 hearing aid compatibility
12. Motorola Moto G Stylus
If you don't like to type on a phone screen, the Motorola Moto G Stylus offers a handy solution. It comes with a stylus, so you can operate the screen with a few taps. When you want to send texts, emails or notes, simply use the stylus to write by hand; the phone will convert it to text. Since this phone has a massive 6.8-inch display, you'll have lots of space for writing and reading.
- Bright, clear Max Vision FHD+ display
- 2 days of battery life
- High-speed Qualcomm Snapdragon processor for fast performance
- My UX allows you to control the phone with custom gestures
- Shortcut menu for simple navigation
13. Moto G Play
Most smartphones need to be plugged in at least once per day. That's not true with the Moto G Play; it has a big battery that lasts for three days on a single charge. The slim body looks expensive, but it's surprisingly cost-effective. You can buy this phone unlocked from Motorola and use it on any compatible carrier.
- Ultra-wide 6.5-inch Max Vision HD+ screen is easy to see
- Water-repellent cast stands up to spills and splashes
- 32GB storage keeps costs down
- Two rear cameras for high-quality photos
14. BLU View Mega
Get back to basics with the budget-friendly BLU View Mega. Designed for prepaid services like Straight Talk and Tracfone, it enables you to control your monthly costs. You'll still get plenty of features, including front and rear cameras, a bright screen and Bluetooth technology. Do you have small hands? At 6 inches, the slim BLU View Mega is easy to hold and operate.
- M4/T3 hearing aid compatibility
- Slim, lightweight case for comfort
- Selfie camera for video calling
- 32GB memory provides space for photos and apps
- 0GHz Quad Core processor for fast performance
15. Ulefone Armor X8
If you have the tendency to drop your phone, the rugged Ulefone Armor X8 is a way to protect your investment. It comes with a special sealed case that protects the screen and keeps out water, so you don't have to worry if you lose your grip. This phone is unlocked, so it's easy to use with your carrier of choice.
- 3 rear cameras and 1 front camera for video chatting and photos
- Waterproof design for durability
- 7-inch screen fits easily in one hand
- Push-to-Talk feature turns the phone into a walkie-talkie
- Anti-slip case increases your grip
16. Blackview BL5000 5G
The Blackview BL5000 5G is another ultra-tough phone. The solid case is sealed, so you can drop the device in the water without damaging it. This model features a long-lasting battery and plenty of storage to accommodate all types of users.
- 5-inch HDR screen is visible in any light
- 5G compatible for fast internet speeds
- Unlocked for convenience
- Face detection technology for security
- Waterproof, drop-proof, and dust-proof
17. TCL 4X 5G
Enjoy the convenience of prepaid phone service with the TCL 4X 5G. Unlike many prepaid-network phones, it offers a collection of premium apps and design features that suit older adults. The HD+ display dials up the contrast, brightness and clarity, so you can see small text or details without straining.
- M3/T3 hearing aid compatibility
- 42 hours of battery life
- 64GB memory that expands to 512GB as needed
- Stereo speakers for loud, high-quality audio
- Available on multiple prepaid networks