Review of Symetra Life Insurance Products
- Get to know Symetra's life insurance products, and explore the options that suit your current family situation, financial standing and estate-planning goals.
With so many life insurance providers to choose from, it can be challenging to find the best fit. Symetra is a solid option, particularly if you're interested in building wealth — it boasts secure financial footing and a range of attractive policy options.
Symetra provides insurance, benefits and investments. It's based in Bellevue, Washington, and operates offices in 14 cities around the United States. The brand's life insurance policies are issued by the Symetra Life Insurance Company division. Symetra was founded in 1957 as a part of the Safeco insurance group; today, it's owned by the insurance provider Sumitomo Life, a mutual company based in Japan.
The company is known for its high financial strength ratings; it receives A or A1 ratings from A.M. Best, Moody's and Standard & Poor's. On its own, Symetra has more than $58 billion in assets. Combined with Sumimoto, the company is backed by assets of more than $370 billion.
What Life Insurance Products Does Symetra Offer?
When it comes to life insurance, Symetra offers two types: term and permanent. Both policy types are available with a variety of riders to expand your coverage. The company also offers annuities, group insurance, accident insurance and employer benefits.
Term Life Insurance
If you're entering a time filled with significant financial obligations, such as college educations or mortgages, term life insurance can offer peace of mind. These policies come with a death benefit, ensuring that your dependents will be able to continue covering these costs if you pass away. Coverage lasts for a set period, and you can choose the term length. Symetra lets you convert a term policy to permanent coverage as long as you do so before the policy is 10 years old.
SwiftTerm is one of Symetra's term life insurance options. It's designed for affordability and convenience — you can apply online, and the approval process typically takes less than 30 minutes. If you're happy with the terms, you can accept the contract and make a payment online for immediate coverage. Most people don't need to undergo a medical exam to be approved, but that requirement may change based on your health.
SwiftTerm is open to people aged 20 and older. Keep in mind that the terms available to you depend on your age — the 30-year term, for example, is only an option until you're 50 years old.
- Coverage ranges from $100,000 to $2 million
- Choose from terms of 10, 15, 20 or 30 years
- Guaranteed premiums for the duration of the term
Permanent Life Insurance
Permanent life insurance serves you during your lifetime and protects your family after your death. These policies are linked to market accounts, so they can grow over time. That way, you can access the cash, and your family gets a death benefit. Here are three of Symetra's permanent life insurance options.
Symetra Accumulator IUL
This indexed universal life insurance product is designed for flexible investing. You can choose between six index accounts and a single fixed account; if your investments perform well, your policy's cash value grows. The Accumulator IUL also comes with a lookback guarantee; if the policy doesn't grow by at least 2% a year for 8 years, the company will increase its value.
- Includes an adjustable death benefit
- 11-year persistency bonus
- Ability to withdraw or borrow against cash value
Symetra Protector IUL
Symetra Protector is an indexed universal life insurance policy with even more investing options. You can allocate premiums to nine different index accounts and one fixed account — each one has a zero floor, so you'll never lose money. If you're concerned about potential health issues, you can add a rider for extra coverage.
- Guaranteed death benefit
- Flexibility in premium amount and frequency
- Access to cash value through withdrawals or loans
- Lapse protection benefit
Symetra CAUL (current assumption universal life) insurance covers you for a lifetime. If you participate in the GoodLife Rewards program, you can reduce your costs with healthy activities and behaviors. Some CAUL policies build cash value over time; if your policy doesn't grow by 2% per year, the company will make up the difference.
- Available to people aged 15 days to 85 years
- Minimum policy size of $50,000 or $100,000, depending on your rate class
- Ability to borrow against or withdraw from the cash value
Life Insurance Riders
Symetra offers a selection of riders that you can use to build a custom coverage package. Availability varies based on the type of policy you choose, but some options are:
- Accidental death benefit: If you die in an accident, this rider increases the death benefit in your policy.
- Waiver of premium: In case you're disabled for 6 months or more, this rider covers your premium costs until you can return to work.
- Accelerated death benefit for chronic illness: If you develop a chronic illness, this rider provides up to half of the policy's death benefit in advance.
- Accelerated death benefit for terminal illness: This rider is similar to the rider for chronic illness, but it provides up to 75% of the death benefit as a lump sum.
- Charitable giving benefit: This free rider donates 1% of your policy's face amount to a nonprofit of your choice when you pass away.
The Pros and Cons of Symetra
Pros of Symetra Life Insurance
- Certain term life insurance policies don't require a medical exam
- High financial strength ratings
- Variety of rider options
Cons of Symetra Life Insurance
- Must talk to an agent to get detailed policy information
- Only one policy offers online quotes
Symetra Reviews: What People Are Saying
Symetra reviewers praise the company's solid standing and impressive assets. Customers appreciate the different options for universal life insurance — in particular, they seem to value the potential for growth, especially since Symetra prevents policies from losing money in the market. People who prefer online quotes and applications occasionally express frustration at the need to go through an agent to buy a policy.
Is a Symetra Life Insurance Policy Right for You?
If you're in search of life insurance that grows in value over time, a Symetra policy may work well for you. Plans like the Protector IUL offer a range of investment options, as well as loans and adjustable premiums, for times when you need extra financial flexibility. The company is financially stable, which can help ensure timely payouts in the long run.